Tuesday 4 August 2015

Top Ten Tuesday: Fairytales and Retellings

Top Ten Tuesday is an original feature/weekly meme created by The Broke and the Bookish featuring a new top ten list each week. Everyone can participate- head on over to their blog and sign up. This feature will be posted every Tuesday.

Favourite Fairytale Retellings


Daughter of the Forest by Juliet Marillier
This is an adult retelling of The Seven Swans, and it has so much depth to it. I have vivid memories of reading this out in the spring sunshine between classes at uni, and the sun warmed me as I was crying at the injustice of the world, and at the beauty of the writing. I had several people come up to me asking if I were okay, and all I could do was point at the book and mumble incoherently. 


The Book of Lost Things by John Connolly
I think this may be one of my favourite books of all times. Set upon the backdrop of war, a Rumplestiltskin-type figure kidnaps a boy and takes him to a world where fairytales have gone wrong. It's an epic adventure of growth and love, and it had me crying like a baby.

A Court of Thorns and Roses
I loved this book so much. I think I love everything that Maas writes, but this was just special, mainly because it was targeted towards my age group. There's sex and it's not the kind that's glossed over in YA. It's very mature and realistic despite being a fantasy novel. I eagerly await the next book.

East by Edith Pattou
This is one of the first retellings I'd ever read, and it remains in my heart the way a girl remembers her first time. It's a beautiful retelling of East of the Sun, West of the Moon, which is a fairytale I absolutely adore.

The Nutcracker Bleeds by Lani Lenore
If you don't know who Lani Lenore is, then I suggest you pick up a kindle or go on wattpad and read her stories immediately. She writes dark retellings of fairytales, and this just so happens to be a retelling of The Nutcracker. I've never read anything as dark and unique and ghastly as this, and I loved every minute of it.



Retellings I'm looking forward to reading

The rest of the Cinder series by Marissa Meyer
I loved the first book, Cinder, but never got around to reading Scarlet nor Cress. I think I'll binge read them just before Winter comes out.

The Wrath and the Dawn by Renee Adieh
Everybody and their grandmother has been talking about this retelling of 1001 Nights, and I have to admit I'm quite curious.

Ash and Bramble by Sarah Prineas
The cover looks absolutely gorgeous and I love Cinderella retellings. I have high hopes for this one.

Of Metal and Wishes by Sarah Fine
I have no idea what this could be about but there appears to be a person of colour on the cover, and that's something that gets me excited.



Entwined by Heather Dixon
This is a retelling of the Twelve Dancing Princesses which I adore, and the cover is absolutely gorgeous. I own a copy, but still haven't gotten around to reading it which is a travesty. One day....





Have you read any of these books? If so, which ones, and how'd you find them?
Do you have any other recommendations for a fairytale retelling addict?

2 comments:

  1. I loved A Court of Thorns and Roses and Entwined. I wasn't thrilled with Cinder, but I'm told the series gets better, so I'm going to read on. Great list!
    Check out my Top 10

    ReplyDelete
  2. These sound great! I love reading fairy tale retellings :3 thank you so much for sharing!

    Lipstick and Mocha

    ReplyDelete